Saturday, September 10, 2016

About That Basket...

It's Saturday morning and I'm evaluating our past week. It was good, in fact very good. But one thing keeps nagging me and that is... we don't have a Morning Basket (as I sarcastically stated in a previous blogpost.)

But I feel left out. Am I doing our homeschool a disfavor? I often go back and read about one of my favorite blogger's basket. Sigh... Why can't I get this awesome morning time basket thing together?

Now, after a couple of cups of coffee I realize that I've been comparing again, a debilitating habit of mine that I hate to admit. The real deal is that we do have a Morning Basket; it's just different. It's unique to us; it's what we need and what we treasure. 




I'm a morning freak and a running fanatic. I get up around 5:00 a.m., drink a cup of Joe, read a little, chat with hubby, and then head out the door. I'm plugged into either an audiobook (I recently finished Hamilton by Ron Chernow) or a podcast. My favorites are The Thomas Jefferson Hour and Hardcore History.




I get back home at 7:45 and do it again but differently. This time Grace, Mary, and Pepper tag along. By 8:00 we are all up and out, waking up together as we talk about all sorts of things.




For example, this week we...

  • Discussed Kepler's Three Laws of Planetary Motion.
  • Laughed about how Pepper's tail sticks straight up and looks like an exclamation mark.
  • Listened to Grace practice her monologs for a theater audition that happened on Friday. (FYI. She aced it.)
  • Learned about St. Augustine as Mary shared the knowledge gained from her Veritas Press self-paced history course.
  • Listed all the songs from Alexander Hamilton in their correct order. (We're slightly obsessed.)
  • Talked about ways for us to reach out to and prayed for a struggling family that we know.
  • Took pictures to use for our nature journaling and observed God's amazing creation. 
  • Talked about what Grace heard in Sunday School from her middle school friends about girl fights and how to react to these issues as a child of God.
  • Discussed the fate of the Lakota Indians concerning the North Dakota Pipeline crisis and how badly white America has historically treated our Native Americans. 
  • Pointed out how the use of ambiguous and vague words can lead to verbal disagreements.
  • Teared up (well I did) as I shared my favorite Bible verse: "And when I wake up, You are still with me." Psalm 139:18



We need this time to reconnect before our school day begins and I love taking this time to pull together what we're learning and make it relevant to our lives. 

So our basket may not fit into what would be considered a typical Morning Time routine but it works for us and that's all that matters.

In the words of Dr. Seuss, "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"

Melanie



No comments:

Post a Comment